New Extended Hours for Student Services
College of the Canyons has extended the hours for Admissions & Records, Counseling, Financial Aid and the Welcome Desk at the Valencia campus through Friday, Aug. 28. The new hours are designed to make it as convenient as possible for students to obtain the services they need before the start, and during the first week, of the fall semester.
Hours in effect Monday, Aug. 17 through Friday, Aug. 28 at the Valencia campus.
- 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday
Posted Aug. 17, 2015
Facts About Vaccinations
Are vaccinations required for college students?
- U.S.-based students attending the college do not require a vaccination record, nor do we collect information from the application about vaccinations.
- Students working in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and nursing, as well as EMT students, must demonstrate they are free of tuberculosis (TB).
What about international students?
- Currently, international students must show proof of a negative TB test.
What laws govern vaccinations at the college?
- Education Code 76403 requires the college to establish procedures necessary to assure cooperation with local public health officials for the prevention and control of communicable diseases, and to be compliant with any immunization programs required by the California Department of Health Services.
- The policy and procedure related to vaccinations are currently in the early stage of being developed and approved by the Board of Trustees.
What about children attending the school on campus?
- Children in the ECE must have the same vaccination records as any public school. Until the summer of 2014, parents could exempt their children from vaccinations, and some actually did. Parents had to claim personal or religious reasons. It was then up to the ECE staff to provide them with information about vaccinations.
- The law changed in summer 2014. Parents can no longer exempt their children. They must now have a health care provider sign off on the exemption. Some of those exemptions have occurred. The ECE currently has children with both types of exemptions.
- Currently about 1 percent of the children at the ECE have such an exemption. Keep in mind that the ECE accepts infants and toddlers into the program; some of those children are not yet fully vaccinated purely as a function of their age and the age at which some vaccinations are administered.
Where can I get more information?
- The March 2015 newsletter from the Community College League of California Office of Government Relations provides some good background information about vaccination policies in the various public education systems in California.
Updated March 20, 2015
Advisory: College Does Not Endorse Door-to-Door Solicitors
College of the Canyons has received reports about people posing as College of the Canyons students as they canvas local neighborhoods and solicit funds for a college newspaper. Variations of this practice occur regularly, with the perpetrators claiming to be students who are raising money for college projects or activities.
College of the Canyons does not endorse this activity, nor does it ask its students to go door-to-door to solicit monetary donations for any reason. If you encounter this activity, we encourage you to report it to the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station at (661) 255-1121.