How to Join
In order to join to CalWORKs program
at College of the Canyons, you must be referred to us from your local Welfare-to-Work county agency. To qualify for the benefits of the GAIN program, you must meet the following requirements:
Your GAIN Service Worker (GSW) will provide you with a Training Verification to be completed at your scheduled intake appointment. To schedule this appointment at the COC CalWORKs program call (661) 362-3271.What Do I Bring to My First Appointment?
- Receiving CalWORKs (Public Assistance).
- Has a child under 18 years of age.
- Has or is in the process of developing a GAIN Welfare-to-Work plan that refers them to college for education/training.
- Enrolled in at least one class at COC which meets their GAIN goal.
- Is approved by GAIN to receive post-employment or post-time limit services.
The first appointment in The CalWORKs department is very important. You must bring to the office any current documentation that can help us determine what services you are eligible for. You must bring:
Prior to coming in for your intake appointment complete the Intake Information Form and Language Designation Form which can be found in the Forms page.
- A GN6006/1 and GN6013 and GN6014 for Vocational Training component.
- A GN6005 for Self Initiated Program Component.
- The CalWORKs program requires proof
of your eligibility from your eligibility worker (EW2). Have them complete this form prior to your intake appointment. TANFCalWORKs Status Verification.docx
Intake Forms Help us to:
- To stay current with addresses, telephone numbers and
other pertinent data.
- To determine whether or not the student is receiving
GAIN supportive services. This information enables us to know the types of
services students will require from the CalWORKS office at COC.
- To determine how many units student is taking.
- To determine whether or not the student is enrolled in
a vocational program.To determine
the student's class, lab and work schedules.
- To determine student's needs for transportation,
childcare, text books, school supplies and other ancillary services.
- To determine the student's possible barriers that might
be in the way of academic success and personal goals.
- To schedule an educational plan or educational plan
update at the beginning of the student’s time in the program and thereby
- informed achievement of educational goals.
Intake Forms must be
completed each semester and accompanied by:
- A copy of Student ID
- A copy of Class Schedule
- Completed CalWORKs Status Verification
- A copy of the most current Cash Aid Notice of Action or
Verification of Benefits
- A copy of the GAIN Contract if available and/or if